Criteria for admission is determined by Medicare and other healthcare regulatory organizations. At times, the admissions liaisons will suggest another, more appropriate level of rehabilitation, such as sub-acute or outpatient. Admissions determinations are made by a team of healthcare professionals at WellStar North Fulton Hospital, led by our Medical Director of Rehabilitation. These admissions decisions are typically relayed to the case manager at the patient’s current healthcare facility.
The referred patient must:
- Require a coordinated interdisciplinary plan of care that includes two or more therapies (PT, OT, Speech).
- Be motivated and able to participate in a minimum of three hours of therapy, 5 days per week.
- Have the potential to significantly improve his or her functional abilities.
- Require 24-hour availability of a Physician specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Require 24-hour availability of a Registered nurse with specialized training in rehabilitation.
- Be 15 years of age or older.
- Have a plan for a helper (frequently a family member) at home when discharged. Our patients are not totally independent in all of their functional activities at the time of discharge. 24-hour assistance is sometimes needed for the patient’s safety. The helper may need to be able to help the patient move, eat, bathe, dress, and/or use the toilet.